Senior Vice President, Senior Scientist
New Gloucester, Maine
Phone: +1 207-926-1065 Ext. 12
Dr. Dwayne Moore is the Senior Vice President at Intrinsik Ltd., and has considerable expertise in ecological risk assessment, wildlife exposure modelling, development of environmental quality guidelines and criteria, community ecology, multivariate statistics, uncertainty analysis, and analysis of toxicity data. Since becoming a consultant in 1996, Dr. Moore has managed hundreds of projects for Canadian, the United States and international clients in government and industry and participated in many others. He led the development of probabilistic exposure and risk models for birds exposed to granular, flowable, seed treatment and bait pesticides. Dr. Moore and his team have completed numerous refined aquatic and wildlife risk assessments for pesticides. He has led or is currently leading assessments being conducted for threatened and endangered species in the United States for a variety of pesticides. For Environment Canada, Dr. Moore and his team developed the guidance manual for deriving Ideal Performance Standards (IPS, equivalent to environmental quality criteria) for pesticides in Canada. Subsequent to preparation of the guidance manual, Dr. Moore and his team completed development of IPS for 8 priority pesticides in Canada. Previously, Dr. Moore led the ecological risk assessment for the PCBs-contaminated Housatonic River in Massachusetts on behalf of the U.S. EPA. He also co-led the ecological risk assessment of the Calcasieu Estuary in Louisiana, also on behalf of the U.S. EPA.
Dr. Moore has been involved in projects to prepare guidance, training, and case studies for probabilistic risk assessments for several agencies including the ACC, CEFIC, Environment Canada, Pest Management Regulatory Agency, pesticide companies, and the U.S. EPA Office of Pesticide Products. He led a team that completed a project to develop ambient water quality criteria for mercury for the Water Environment Research Foundation. Dr. Moore co-chaired the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) Pellston conference on the use of uncertainty analysis in ecological risk assessment and co-edited the book that followed from the conference. He served on the SETAC Pellston steering committee for Probabilistic Risk Assessments of Pesticides. Dr. Moore has participated in several other Pellston workshops (e.g., assessing multiple stressors, re-evaluation of environmental quality criteria, problem formulation for pesticides), and has participated in numerous EPA Science Advisory Panels, Science Advisory Boards and other EPA peer review workshops.
- Considered an expert in several areas including wildlife exposure modeling, ecology, probabilistic risk assessment, and environmental statistics.
- Led and authored refined aquatic and wildlife risk assessments for many pesticides including aldicarb, bifenthrin, brodifacoum, carbofuran, chlorpyrifos, dimethoate, glufosinate, malathion and many others.
- Led ecological risk assessments for sites contaminated with a variety of toxic chemicals including mercury, PCBs, dioxins and furans, lead, chlorinated solvents and many others.
- Led and authored ecological effects determinations for threatened and endangered species (e.g., California red-legged frog, Pacific salmonids) potentially exposed to pesticides in the United States.
- Actively involved in developing a framework and methods for conducting national endangered species assessments for pesticides.
- Involved in the development of numerous water quality guidelines in Canada and helped develop methodology and statistical software for CCME Water Quality Task Group.
- Frequently called upon to provide peer review services for legal firms, other consulting firms, industry and government agencies.
- Assisted clients and legal firms in several lawsuits including preparing depositions and giving testimony.
- Taught numerous courses on subjects such as environmental statistics, probabilistic risk assessment, and wildlife exposure modeling to groups at Environment Canada, U.S. EPA, pesticide companies and many others.
- Co-editor, “Uncertainty Analysis in Ecological Risk Assessment” (1998, SETAC Press).
- Member of US EPA FIFRA Scientific Advisory Panel (1999, 2000, 2004) and US EPA Scientific Advisory Board (2006, 2008).
- Prior to joining Intrinsik Corp., served as Senior Associate at Cadmus Group and Senior Evaluator at Environment Canada.
Education and Professional Qualifications
- Ph.D., Wetland Community Ecology, University of Ottawa
- M.Sc., Wetland Community Ecology, University of Ottawa
- BScH, Plant Sciences, University of Western Ontario
- American Chemical Society (Agro Division)
- CropLife America (Active participant on their Ecological Risk Assessment Committee and Ecotoxicology Work Group)
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry