Toxicologist, Technical Lead
Phone: +1 905-364-7814 Ext. 244
Elyse Carere is a Technical Lead within the Chemicals and Consumer Products group at Intrinsik Corp. Elyse manages a team of regulatory toxicologists conducting safety assessments for consumer products, including toys, art supplies, cosmetics and personal care products, and other household items. The hundreds of assessments conducted annually by the team involve consideration of the toxicological properties of the chemicals in the product as well as an exposure assessment of each chemical, considering the physical/chemical properties of the chemicals, the characteristics of the product, and the intended use and foreseeable misuse of the product. In addition, the team maintains an in-house database, containing toxicological information on over 3,500 specific chemicals, including all endpoints relevant to toxicology risk assessment such as acute toxicity (oral, inhalation and dermal), irritation (skin, eye, respiratory and mucous membrane), sensitization (dermal and respiratory), single target organ toxicity (chronic toxicity), mutagenicity, reproductive and developmental toxicity, and carcinogenicity.
Elyse also interacts regularly with clients to provide support for all toxicology risk assessment needs related to consumer products.
- Manages safety assessments from start to finish to oversee quality, science, and timelines.
- Extensive experience in conducting product safety assessments (TRAs and LHAMAs) in accordance with various regulations governing chemicals and chemical products in the U.S., Canada, and Europe.
- Conducts literature searches, critically reviews toxicological data, and has prepared toxicology profiles for over 400 chemicals commonly found in consumer products.
- Completed numerous European Cosmetic Product Safety Assessments (CPSRs)
Education and Professional Qualifications
- MBS, Master of Biomedical Science, University of Guelph
- B.Sc., Biomedical Toxicology, University of Guelph
- American Chemical Society
- Canadian Association of Professionals in Regulatory Affairs
- Canadian Toy Association
- Toy Industry Association