Vice President, Senior Toxicologist
Phone: +1 905-364-7800 Ext. 222
Elliot Sigal is a Senior Toxicologist and Vice President of Intrinsik Corp. He has over 25 years of experience in human health risk assessment, ecological risk assessment, toxicology, peer review, public consultation, risk communication and risk management. Elliot has overseen and contributed to hundreds of risk assessment projects for industry and government and conducted peer reviews on risk assessments in jurisdictions across Canada and the U.S. related to complex contaminated sites, mining/smelting facilities, military base closures, underground storage tanks, incinerator/WTE emissions, landfill sites, consumer products and industrial processes. He is often called upon to provide expert advice to both industry and government, including Health Canada and the Ontario Ministry of the Environment. Elliot is a full member of the Society of Toxicology and is a Qualified Person Risk Assessment (QPRA) under Ontario Regulation 153/04. Since 2015, he has directed the efforts of Intrinsik’s Chemical and Consumer Products team.
As director of Intrinsik’s Chemical and Consumer products team, Elliot oversees the assessment of consumer products including toys, art supplies, cosmetics and personal care products, and other household items. Many of the hundreds of assessments conducted annually involve the consideration of the toxicological properties of the chemicals in the product as well as an exposure assessment of each chemical, considering the physical/chemical properties of the chemicals, the characteristics of the product and the intended use and foreseeable misuse of the product. Generic exposure models have been developed for many types of consumer products and an in-house chemicals database, containing toxicological information on over 3500 specific chemicals, including all endpoints relevant to toxicological risk assessment such as acute toxicity (oral, inhalation and dermal), irritation (skin, eye, respiratory and mucous membrane), sensitization (dermal and respiratory), single target organ toxicity (chronic toxicity), mutagenicity, reproductive and developmental toxicity, carcinogenicity, has been developed.
- Provides expert advice and review of RAs on behalf of the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Health Canada, in the areas of human health risk assessment and toxicology; has also provided expert advice to municipal and provincial public health officials.
- Led numerous high-profile risk assessment and environmental toxicology projects across Canada and internationally.
- Called upon to provide peer review services for other consulting firms, industry and government agencies.
- Provides scientific litigation support, including research, consultation, and testimony.
- Research interest is the field of oral bioavailability of contaminants in the environment.
- Over 50 scientific publications and presentations regarding toxicology and risk assessment.
Education and Professional Qualifications
- B.Sc. (Honours), Toxicology, University of Toronto
- QPRA, Qualified Person for Risk Assessment as defined by the Environmental Protection Act of Ontario (O. Reg. 153/04)
- American Chemical Society
- Association for Environmental Health and Sciences
- Canadian Toy Association
- Ontario Environmental Industry Association
- Society of Toxicology
- Toy Industry Association