Vice President, Canadian Environmental Group
Phone: +1 403-237-0275 Ext. 250
Bart Koppe is the Vice President of the Canadian Environmental Group, Intrinsik Corp. Over the past 20 years, the focus of Bart’s work has been on the assessment of environmental stressors on human health and the environment. With his experience in toxicology, risk assessment, epidemiology, health impact assessment and risk communication, Bart helps his clients find practical solutions for complex problems.
As part of his work with Intrinsik Corp., Bart continues to be involved in all stages of risk assessments, including: problem formulation, toxicity and exposure assessments, uncertainty analysis and risk characterization. His knowledge and experience of human health and ecological risk assessment encompasses multiple fields and sectors, including contaminated sites, oil and gas (including oil sands), electricity generation, mining, forestry and pulp and paper.
Bart regularly presents at technical conferences and workshops. He has developed risk assessment frameworks for specific industry and government initiatives and sat on expert panels for numerous provincial and federal applications (e.g., AER, NRCB and CEAA). Bart continues to work for government agencies, industrial clients and First Nations to assist them in issues related to health and environmental risk.
- Considered an authority in environmental health issues related to numerous industrial sectors. With respect to the oil and gas industry, he has led risk assessments and provided risk communication support for oil sands mining projects, in situ projects, upgraders, refineries and power plants (coal and natural gas).
- Provides technical support for quasi-judicial regulatory hearings, including research, consultation, and testimony.
- Invited to participate on technical advisory committees for the development of environmental risk assessment frameworks and exposure modelling practices.
- Specializes in risk communication, stakeholder engagement and public consultation. Called upon to provide peer review services for other consulting firms, industry and government agencies.
Education and Professional Qualifications
- Post Baccalaureate Degree, Environmental Toxicology, Simon Fraser University
- B.Sc., Biology, University of Calgary