Karl Bresee, BSc. P.Biol.
Karl Bresee is a senior scientist at Intrinsik Environmental Sciences. Mr. Bresee has been involved in assessing environmental risks in Canada and northern territories for the last 14 years, with a considerable amount of that time spent on applications for oil and gas, mining and energy projects in the Province of Alberta.
Mr. Bresee specializes in human and ecological risk assessment with extensive experience in exposure modeling. Mr. Bresee’s role in these projects was project management, multiple pathway exposure assessment, chemical toxicity assessment, risk characterization and public/stakeholder consultation. He has conducted deterministic and probabilistic risk assessments across Canada and the United States for both industry and government.
- Considered an authority in exposure modelling related to environmental impact assessments and contaminated sites. He has led risk assessments and provided risk communication support for oil sands mining projects, in situ projects, upgraders, refineries and power plants (coal and natural gas).
- Developed probabilistic ecological risk assessment models for the wide-area ecological risk assessment of Teck Cominco’s lead/zinc smelter in Trail, British Columbia, and the ecological risk assessment related to smelter emissions in the City of Greater Sudbury and surrounding area in Ontario.
- Provided technical support and testimony for regulatory hearings.
- Contributed to Risk Assessment and Environmental Management. A Case Study in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. Chapter 11. Ruth Hull and Karl Bresee. Ecological Risk Assessment: Evaluating Risks to Terrestrial Wildlife. Maralte B.V. Leiden, The Netherlands. pp 454.
- Provided detailed and complex exposure modelling in support of legal cases regarding alleged human poisoning episodes involving phenol and PCB exposure following accidental releases.
- Successfully managed over 50 environmental risk assessments and actively involved with over 100 projects; including, contaminated sites, coal and metallurgical mines, large industrial oil and gas and energy applications.
Post Baccalaureate Degree, Environmental Toxicology, Concordia University
B.Sc., Biology, Concordia University